The basic function of the Controls Engineer is to provide the technical input and documentation control necessary to ensure that expectations set in the company quote and the customer specifications are met. To accomplish this task, the Controls Engineer will commit to strong coordination with Engineering and Manufacturing department personnel to complete assigned duties while monitoring schedules to ensure the assigned project design work is completed appropriately. This position encompasses all facets of electrical design engineer addition, the Controls Engineer will select component materials, specify purchased hardware requirements and collaborate with Mechanical Design Engineers to select electrical and pneumatic components. The Controls Engineer II provides electrical and software design while under minimal technical supervision.
Position qualifications and skills
College accreditation with emphasis in engineering or equivalent experience, preferably from within a manufacturing firm. Bachelor’s degree with concentration in electrical or software engineering strongly preferred.
Three to eight years of electrical or software design and/or engineering experience—three years’ experience within the special machine industry preferred. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
- Competent in the use AutoCad Electrical.
- Light experience with Scara and Six axis robots.
- Experienced in the use and programming of various PLC, HMI, and Stepper software applications.
- Motivated to initiate and implement tasks, strategies and techniques in a goal oriented manner to increase productivity and profitability.
- Technically creative with an understanding of electrical functions to provide solutions in a robust and economical manner.
- Capable of evaluating quotations, specifications, and documentation to discern functional requirements, identify missing information, and define tasks for electrical designs.
- Organized and flexible in work functions allowing for dedicated, multitasking, and task interrupted duties.
- Analytical and decisive to define, evaluate and solve problems in an organized process.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal with competency in computer and Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to collaborate in team environments while maintaining individual duties effectively Principal Duties and Activities.
The principal duties will include, but not be limited to:
- Working closely with Project Managers, Mechanical Design Engineers, Applications Engineers, the manufacturing team, and customers to develop systems and develop systems and complete projects.
- Generating software programs.
- Support machine runoff and debug activity.
- Write and conduct software validations.
- Support machine acceptance test process and support machine installations at the customers’ facility.
- Works with senior team members to develop and execute machine software design content.
- Identifying and attending outside training sessions consistent with company goals and areas of expertise to ensure continuing education and technical skill advancement.
- Mentoring less experienced design staff and assisting in the development of concepts and design methodologies for projects. Communicate design requirements to junior team members, answer questions and monitor work to support further development of the design.
- Understanding design team members’ skill level when assigning design tasks to junior team members
- Occasional travel required, including overnight travel – potentially domestic and international.
Physical and Environmental Requirements
- Full body mobility with the ability to bend, stoop, climb, and lift or move 25 lbs of weight.
- The ability to walk within restricted areas of the company or customer manufacturing plant.
- Professional conduct in regards to hygiene and dress.
- The ability to travel via vehicle or airplane.
- The ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Position is first shift with flexible start times.